Sunday, September 30, 2007

September edition of the Daring Bakers! And my first try as a member too!

They were super easy, though time consuming, as all get out. Mainly with all the down time it took to let the dough rise.

I made both sticky buns and cinnamon rolls! However I changed it up a little and added 2 parts cardamom to one part cinnamon for the rolls in general, and on the sticky buns I used dried cranberries and already candied pecans that I ground to a fine texture using my new mortar and pestle.
They came out so beautiful! I didn't have much time though to take proper pictures. My oven broke so I had to borrow a friends kitchen and ended up staying over rather late, so I was trying to get out as quickly as possible, then headed straight to my college's anime club meeting where I passed out the goodies. They were gone in five minutes and everyone said they were lovely!

I didn't get to taste a cinnamon roll, however I snagged a sticky bun.....the taste was so mellow and oh so sweet, the cranberries were refreshing too. It was like delicious spice cake versus overly cinnamon-y. They fell to bits in my mouth and were light and fluffy. I'm definately going to make these again.

I had no real problems, I just followed all the steps exactly and it came out just fine! However it was definately an afternoon event.

18 comments:

slush said...

Borrowing another kitchen to complete your challenge? Now thats dedication. Id say a job very well done. They look fantastic!

Deborah said...

I shared mine as well - and they were gone quickly! Congrats on your first completed challenge!

Brilynn said...

Congrats on your first challenge, and way to persevere through your lack of oven challenge!

Pille said...

Nice to hear that your bun-baking went smoothly!

MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

Using somebody else's kitchen, that's an event. Bun look beautiful. Glad you enjoyed.

breadchick said...

Wow, you really did a great job especially when using a kitchen other than your own! Great job on your first challenge!

Marce said...

Congrats on your first challenge! I´m glad you succeeded even with the oven mishap.

Mehgan said...

Beautiful, golden buns! Love it!

creampuff said...

Congratulaations on completing your first challenge under such circumstances! You did a great job!

Helene said...

Cograts on your first successful challenge and "cheers" to many more!

Lis said...

Yay! I'm so glad you had a nice friend to loan you her kitchen! I love your alterations to the spices and the addition of the cranberries - sounds delish!

Congrats on your first challenge!

xoxo

marias23 said...

Nice job, Lex, and welcome to be the DB club ;)

Aoife said...

I'm glad your buns were such a hit. Looking at the picture, it's clear why!

Dolores said...

For buns baked in a foreign oven under time pressure, you can be quite proud of yourself Lex. Congratulations and welcome to the insanity!

Peabody said...

What dedication to have to go and use someone else's kitchen!
Well done.

Julie said...

They look fabulous! I need to join an anime cook so I have people to feed my snacks to ... ;)

Karen Baking Soda said...

Baking in a non-familiar kitchen? That's what I call Daring! You've passed the test with flying colours!

Andrea said...

You have a very nice friend to lend use of a kitchen, although bribing with sticky, gooey buns works well! Congrats on your first challenge, and welcome to the Daring Bakers!!